You have already started a blog and posting articles regularly but not getting traffic! You would be thinking like why am I not getting traffic? What should I do now? You might be familiar with a common term “ON PAGE SEO.” and looking for the ways on How to do ON PAGE SEO of your blog post on the internet?
Well, hold on! You are at the right place. In this article you will learn What is ON PAGE SEO, how to do ON PAGE SEO and why you should look after ON PAGE SEO? How does it help ranking your blog and getting organic traffic? I will cover everything step by step with no step skipped.
But before getting into ON PAGE SEO, let’s quickly go through-
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the techniques and methods we use for optimizing our blog to rank higher in organic search and getting more and more free organic traffic. It is a widely used technique by top bloggers for getting traffic. Undoubtedly, this is one of the core parameters for ranking in Search Engines.
What are the types of SEO?
Mainly, there are 3 types of SEO.
- On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
- Technical SEO
In this article, we will talk about ON PAGE SEO only.
What is ON-PAGE SEO?
Another name of ON PAGE SEO is ON-SITE SEO. It is the techniques and methods used to optimize individual pages of a blog for search engines and users. Some of them include optimizing tags, content, internal links and URLs, etc.
Whereas the off-page SEO, includes optimizing for signals that happen off of your blog.
Why is ON-PAGE SEO Important?
You guys might wonder whether ON PAGE SEO still matter in 2020!
Obviously, it does matter even in 2020. Google itself admits that. Although the algorithm of Google is getting smarter every day however these traditional ways are still relevant and make a difference.
It is generally observed that keyword-rich title tags rank higher on search engine results. If you notice, you will see that almost every top ranked page use the exact searched keyword in their title tag.
How To Do ON-PAGE SEO Properly?
There are several techniques and methods you should practice for a proper ON PAGE SEO.
1. Optimize Your Content For ON-PAGE SEO
I hope you got why On Page SEO is so important for your blog. Now you should start implementing them. Here are some tips to be followed:
- Try to use focused keywords in the 1st paragraph. It is seen that Google generally prefers the blog if the keyword is present in the beginning (within 100 words). And trust me, this is really helpful in terms of SEO.
- Focus on Keyword density(also known as Keyword frequency). Its is extremely important when it comes to SEO. Some people can deny that it doesn’t matter. But the majority of successful bloggers agree with high keyword density. If you use the focused keyword only once, it is not gonna help you much.
- Use Permalinks in URLs. This is another important factor for On Page SEO. The structure of your URL plays a crucial role in Search Engine Optimization. The terms and keywords you use in the URLs matter. Keep your URLs short, clean and keyword specific.
- Use Outbound links. It is still an arguable point. However an experiment shows that it does matter. And to be honest, I also feel that it matters. So, I recommend you to follow this one. You can read more about that experiment here.
- Use H1 Tag in the title of your blog post. According to Google, using an H1 tag helps Google understand the structure of a blog post.
- Use H2 Tag in subheadings of your blog post. It doesn’t seem to be true always however there is no harm in following this for better result. It also makes your post good looking.
2. Optimize Title and Description Tags
Google itself agree that title tags help in ranking higher on Search Engines. So you should really take care of them if you want to get benefited. Here are some tips to be followed:
- Use keyword rich meta description. Using keyword rich meta description is always good in terms of SEO. At the same time, meta description should be unique as well. In fact, Google itself recommends adding meta description of your own. Also, you might want to include focused keyword at-least once in meta description. You might have noticed that Google bold the term matched with searched term.
- Use title tag modifiers. Using some specific tags like “best”, “complete” etc. according to your post can also help you ranking higher in search results.
3. Write SEO Friendly Content
You should never compromise when it comes to the content of your blog. The quality of content is one of the most important factor for SEO without any doubt. Here are some tips to be followed:
- Unique content offers quality is always preferred by search engines. Try to be original, provide value to the readers and be specific. You should also try to bring something new which is not there on the web. That unique could be anything like- Structure of your blog post, the way of your expression, a new idea of strategy, or maybe step by step approach with no step skipped.
For example, I am offering a step by step guide with no step skipped in this blog post.
- Valuable Content is another important aspect to be noticed. You have written a unique content; that’s great. But do you think it is enough?
Millions of blog posts are published daily. Many of them can be on the same niche/topic.That’s why for your post to stand out must offer some great value to the readers. You can add value to your content by adding details(with pictures, steps etc that makes the content easy to understand), putting materials(including examples, case studies etc).
- Write content that fulfills the need of readers. With the help of quality unique and valuable content, you can definitely rank on the 1st page of Google. But, to stay on the top, you need to satisfy your visitors/readers. It simply means that your content should be similar to the one your visitor is looking for.
4. On-Page UX Signals
You might wonder whether Search engines really cares about Bounce Rate, Dwell Time and other user behaviors.
Yes, They do!
As per Google’s “How Search Works”, they use anonymized and aggregated interaction data to assess whether search results are relevant to the queries and then rank the best results. Here are some tips to be followed:
- Put your headline and introduction front-and-center. Whenever someone visit your blog, he/she wants the answer to their query ASAP. That’s why, always put your heading and a clear introduction assuring the reader that he/she will find the answer on this blog.
- Structure Your Content Really well. Less than 1% of visitors read every word on your blog. That’s why, you might want to make your content super easy to read and understand. Use subheadings, and bullet points wherever required.
- Keep your blog interactive. Make your readers comfortable to comment their queries or opinions. And try to respond each and every comment. It reduces bounce rate of your blog which improves SEO.
5. Pro On-Page SEO Tips
In this section, I will reveal some of my favorite SEO tips and techniques. Without getting late, let’s dive onto those tips and techniques.
- Avoid using stock images. Yes, you read me right! If you use stock images, you might want to avoid this now onwards. Because it can hurt your SEO. Start using original images to from now. Because sites with unique images outrank the sites with stock images oftenly.
- Inbound Linking. Also known as internal linking, it is highly beneficial for SEO of your blog. Also, make sure to use keyword-rich text while doing so. Interlink your pages to each other which are relevant to the post. You can find an epitome of how to internally link your blog on Wikipedia. They add a lot of keyword-rich internal link on their website.
- Boost your page speed. Something you can’t ignore if you are looking for getting a higher rank on organic search. Google itself has stated that page loading time is a factor of SEO. You can do so by reducing page size. Also you can switch to a faster host that use SSD like Siteground.
- Image Optimization. Never forget to give a descriptive name and relevant alt text to your images. They are crucial for your On-Page SEO.
- Voice Search SEO. This is going to boom in upcoming years. You might get surprised to know that Creating FAQ pages is the best to way to optimize your content for voice search.
I hope you find this post helpful. Try to implement these techniques on your blog and you will definitely see results within no time. In case you have any doubt, query or suggestion; do comment below. I would love to hear from you all.